Setting the number of available attempts on a problem in Open edX
In order to set the number of attempts a student can take to solve a problem in Open edX, simply follow the following steps.
- In Studio, locate the problem you wish to configure and click Edit
- Go to the Settings tab and scroll down until you find Maximum Attempts
- Simply enter any number here to limit how many times a student can attempt this problem. Alternatively, leave the box blank (or delete any existing number) to allow infinite attempts. Then hit Save.
- Finally, publish your content to ensure the change is live in the LMS, and check that the problem attempts appear as intended.
Setting the default
If you find yourself changing this often, you can set the default value of this field for any future questions you add.
- First navigate to Advanced Settings by using the Settings menu at the top of the page in Studio
Scroll down or search the page ( Ctrl or Command + F) to find Maximum Attempts and set it to the number of attempts you would like to have entered as the default. Hit Save Changes once you're done.
Note: If you change a problem's number of attempts after content has been published, you must republish the content after you've save your changes. This can be done on the unit level or on the Course Outline.