Understanding staff roles in Tahoe
In Tahoe, you've got a few levels of staff access, and it helps to know who can do what. With that in mind, here's a breakdown:
|Role name||Rights & responsibilities|
|Course Admin (also referred to simply as Admin)||
Course Staff (also referred to as Staff or Instructors)
Using these roles
The typical flow of course creation on Open edX in Tahoe is as follows:
- Tahoe Admin configures and themes the site
- Tahoe Admin creates the course in Studio
- Tahoe Admin grants another staff member Course Admin rights on their course.
- Course Admin manages their course, inviting other staff members to become Course Staff
- Course Staff work alongside the Course Admin to create their course
These roles aren't mutually exclusive - a Course Admin may be a Tahoe Admin (and in fact, as far as Open edX is concerned in the background, a Tahoe Admin is a Course Admin), and a Course Admin may be responsible for many of the same responsibilities as a Staff user. How you use these roles is ultimately up to you - but the buttons they have access to are limited according to these three roles.