Understanding staff roles in Tahoe
In Tahoe, you've got a few levels of staff access, and it helps to know who can do what. With that in mind, here's a breakdown:
|Rights & responsibilities
|Course Admin (also referred to simply as Admin)
Course Staff (also referred to as Staff or Instructors)
Using these roles
The typical flow of course creation on Open edX in Tahoe is as follows:
- Tahoe Admin configures and themes the site
- Tahoe Admin creates the course in Studio
- Tahoe Admin grants another staff member Course Admin rights on their course.
- Course Admin manages their course, inviting other staff members to become Course Staff
- Course Staff work alongside the Course Admin to create their course
These roles aren't mutually exclusive - a Course Admin may be a Tahoe Admin (and in fact, as far as Open edX is concerned in the background, a Tahoe Admin is a Course Admin), and a Course Admin may be responsible for many of the same responsibilities as a Staff user. How you use these roles is ultimately up to you - but the buttons they have access to are limited according to these three roles.