Generating Exception Certificates in Open edX
Exception certificates force the system to generate a certificate for a learner, regardless of their current grade.
This is useful for:
- Learners who accidentally deleted their own accounts and need to start over
- Learners who already completed courses in an external system
- Learners who were 1% away from passing, and you want to show them leniency
In order to do this:
- You must be a Course Admin
- The learner must be enrolled in the course
- Certificates must be enabled on both your site and your course
- Open up your course in the LMS and open up the Instructor dashboard. Select the Certificates tab.
- Scroll down to Set Certificate Exceptions. Enter the user's email address in the email field, and optionally add a note to confirm why an exception is being granted.
- Scroll down to Generate Exception Certificates and hit the Generate Exception Certificates button.
The learner will see a certificate download link on their progress page, even if they do not qualify for a certificate: